Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pancakes and Buckets


From Bryan's letter home on February 11, 2009


ok, these pictures in order backwards...lets see if I remember. One is of us cleaning the baptismal font with sponges. Another is of the entire branch at the baptism, another is me and Geronimo, and the last is a picture of the marvelous homemade pancakes and syrup! Hope you enjoy!

Hey! Big week! Will reply to some stuff here first and then get to the story...as usual. But yeah, cant believe i was quoted in a talk! how flattering. Dad told me that the grandparents are going to be mailing their talks to me, that's exciting..i cant wait. You can tell GJ that I received her valentines card! Thanks GJ! Loved it! You are an all star with writing letters! Sorry I don't reply as much, but I hope you know I appreciate it! And your box I haven't received yet, but I think I will next week...It is always harder to receive boxes in the end of the transfer, because all the times that we receive happen more in the first three weeks of the transfer. But yeah, I am confident that I should get the package next week or the week after next.

Funny to hear about Kelsey getting hit on by the waiter at her Grade dinner. Gosh, I miss those grade dinners haha, but congratulate Kelsey on the 4 point! And she gets her BYU reply this week? I thought it wasn't until the 28th. Oh well, just know that I am praying along with you guys!

And that DVD would be excellent. We use DVDs sometimes, like the Restoration, Joy to the World, FInding Faith in Christ....but it would be sweet to have a nice change up.

That is excellent that the missionaries were able to come give you a blessing, they are always looking for chances to serve,especially when it is helping such good friends. Glad everything is recovering nicely. Wish I could have been there to help! Elder Anderson just wrote to me saying how great you guys were and that he was tracting in 10 degree weather haha. Sounds like a great guy, glad you have been able to spend time with him, teaching investigators and learning more about mission life.

So, on to STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORY TIMMMEEEEEEEEEEE!!! WOOO

BAPTISM!!!!! WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOAOAOAOAOOAOAOAAA!!

Ok, so, as you can see, I am pretty excited about what happened this past week haha. I had my first baptism on the mission. Was amazing. Although there were some roadbumps getting the meeting ready. Elder Martins showed up at the chapel at 8 in the morning on saturday to clean the font, the area for the baptism at 4. Not only did we sweep and clean and wash the baptismal font, but we spent four hours filling it with buckets. Yes, you read right, we filled up a baptismal font using buckets. Never thought that would ever happen. But yeah, then, we used up the entire water supply of the chapel before the font was completely filled! Haha, gosh it was adventurous. But everything turned out all right. Nearly the entire branch showed up to support Geronimo. It was a great program. I got to give another talk (woo hoo, Article of Faith 4) and we did some musical numbers, and Elder Martins performed the baptism. It was such a spiritual experience. There was just a different feeling there, and Geronimo was so happy. Was very, very cool. I am still amazed by the change that has come over him in the past two months (whoa, two months..how did that happen) but yeah, its pretty amazing. Just another testament of how people can change for the better when they allow the Spirit to work with them, when they gain their testimony. Amazing.

Lets see, yesterday was a pretty great day. It never stops to amaze me when we go to follow up with people about the book of mormon and their reading and they talk about the amazing answers to their prayers that they have received, that they know without a doubt that the book is true. It is so cool, just like I have said before, you start to see a new light in their eyes, a new brightness to their smile. So cool. Plus we are making some great progress with some investigators that we have had for a while. THey are hilarious, basically members without being baptised. They give us references, answer intense questions for us when there are other people at the lesson, everything. Hopefully we will be able to mark a baptismal date with them soon.

Also, thanks for the pancake recipe mom! Went excellent! I cooked a nice big batch for us this morning (admittedly, it was a little interesting finding the ingredients during the week, especially since evaporated milk is more directly translated to milk dust) but yeah, turned out great! I was really missing pancakes...but now that is all taken care of.

I miss you all! So much. Wrote a letter for Uncle Mike and Aunt Alane & fam this morning, so you guys should get it in about 2-3 weeks (if you are reading this).

But yeah, love you mom. Got your letter last week, was soo cool reading about your history in the church. I really loved it and loved reading your testimony. You are such a powerful example for the entire family mom, thank you. I love you

Love you Dad, Love ya kels! Loved that story about the waiter at Arianas haha, get used to it kelsey.

I know the church is true. I know that I am here in Brazil for a reason, and that I am called by God through a living prophet. There are so many small miracles that I see every day that are just one more testament about the veracity (veracidade in portuguese...not sure if it translates) of this church, of the book of mormon. I know that we are all beloved children of God, and that He wants nothing more than our happiness. Sure, there are times when we have difficulties, when it seems it is too much to bear, but I know that with Him we can survive, we can push forward. As we do so we will be able to look back with fondness at those times of difficulty, not because of what happened, but because we can see how we have been able to grow, how the Lord was encouraging us to progress in some specific way. I love this gospel. The purity and simplicity is absolutely beautiful, and I KNOW that we can all be together forever as we truly follow the teachings of our Lord and Savior. Always remember that there is always this hope, that we always have this faith, and the ability to receive strength. I know that my redeemer lives, what comfort this sweet sentence gives. he lives.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

Love you all! Miss you! Cant wait til next week!

1 comment:

Fischer Mom said...

Love that Boy! What a special man he is becoming. It is great to read about his stories and adventures. His testimony is very special.